Oregon occupier says he knew he would be found innocent

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A man who was charged in connection with the occupation of a national wildlife refuge says he holds no ill will against prosecutors and that he knew he would not be found guilty.

Peter Santilli tells the Oregonian/OregonLive (https://is.gd/UL1MHh ) that he knew his charge of conspiracy would not go to trial. Prosecutors filed a motion last week to dismiss the charge.

The 50-year-old is an independent broadcaster from Cincinnati, Ohio, who live-streamed the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, which began Jan. 2 and lasted for 41 days. He contends he covered the protest as a journalist and stayed at the Silver Spur Motel rather than the refuge.

Eleven of 26 defendants indicted in the refuge takeover case entered guilty pleas. Seven are in trial. Seven others are set for trial in February.


Information from: The Oregonian/OregonLive, http://www.oregonlive.com

comments powered by Disqus