SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (AP) — A new wrongful death lawsuit alleges a central Ohio woman died because she ate salad processed at a Dole plant linked to a listeria outbreak.
The Springfield News-Sun (http://bit.ly/1r3Ahbi ) reports the suit says a 79-year-old Franklin County woman died in February after eating salad from Dole’s Springfield plant.
The food processor is accused of failing to prevent contamination. Dole declined to comment on the pending litigation.
Responding to a separate lawsuit, Dole denied responsibility in a claim alleging a woman was left in a coma after eating salad tainted by listeria.
The bacteria sometimes found in raw vegetables can lead to a gastrointestinal infection. Officials tracking the outbreak said 19 people reported illnesses in several states, and one person died in Michigan.
The plant shut down for about three months.