Officials: Cause of strange, sickening school odor unknown


AVON, Ohio (AP) — Fire officials say they’ll likely never know what caused a strange odor that sickened four students and forced a northeast Ohio high school to evacuate.

Students at Avon High School, about 20 miles west of Cleveland, were sent to a neighboring church to be evacuated Tuesday afternoon.

Police and fire officials responded to the school for a report that a toxic smell was making students sick.

City fire officials told cleveland.com (http://bit.ly/1WVgGYZ ) on Wednesday that there was no indication of a chemical spill or gas leak. Investigators suspect someone may have sprayed something into the air.

Superintendent Michael Laub says all affected students are recovering. He says authorities will continue trying to determine what was in the air, but that the school “is safe.”

Students returned to class Wednesday.

___

Information from: cleveland.com, http://www.cleveland.com

comments powered by Disqus