High school evacuates after mysterious odor sickens students

AVON, Ohio (AP) — Officials say a northeast Ohio high school was evacuated after several students smelled something strange in the air and fell ill.

Fire officials say Avon High School was evacuated Tuesday afternoon. The school is about 20 miles west of Cleveland.

Police and fire officials responded to the high school for a report of a toxic smell that was making students sick.

Officials say fire crews determined that no students had passed out, but that some reported feeling dizzy and were having difficulties breathing. Four were taken to a hospital to be evaluated.

Officials say students were evacuated to a nearby church so officials could figure out the cause of the odor, which was limited to a single hallway.

City police say the irritant is not yet known.

comments powered by Disqus