ODESSA, Neb. (AP) — Authorities have dropped charges filed against an Ohio man after a stabbing in south-central Nebraska.
The Kearney Hub reports (http://bit.ly/1q1IT1v ) that 19-year-old Caleb McDonald, of Liberty Township, Ohio, had been charged with assault and other crimes after the April 3, 2015, incident.
Last week a district judge in Buffalo County granted a prosecution motion to dismiss the case. After McDonald was given a psychiatric evaluation, prosecutor Mike Mefferd concluded that state law wouldn’t permit McDonald’s prosecution. McDonald’s attorney had said McDonald has a mental disorder.
Authorities say McDonald and another man were traveling in separate vehicles on a county road in Odessa when they exchanged words. The Buffalo County Sheriff’s Office says McDonald stabbed the man after they got out of their vehicles.
Information from: Kearney Hub, http://www.kearneyhub.com/