Sanders campaign drops lawsuit after Ohio young-voter ruling

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders’ campaign has told a federal court that it’s dismissing its complaint against Ohio’s elections chief over a policy related to the state’s youngest primary voters.

The attorneys for the campaign and several young voters who had joined it notified the federal court in Columbus of their voluntary dismissal on Friday.

The move follows a ruling from a Franklin County Common Pleas Court judge, who ordered that eligible 17-year-old voters be permitted to vote in the state’s March 15 presidential primary.

Whether 17-year-olds could vote in the presidential primary race had been under dispute. Secretary of State Jon Husted (HYOO’-sted) said Ohio rules don’t permit it.

Ohio does let 17-year-olds who will be 18 before the fall election vote in the preceding primary, with some limits.

comments powered by Disqus