The Latest: Ohio attorney general warns of donation scam

PIKETON, Ohio (AP) — The Latest on the killings of eight family members in southern Ohio (all times local):

9:20 p.m.

Ohio’s attorney general is warning of a scam in which someone is claiming to be from the local sheriff’s office and is asking for donations for the victims of last week’s killings.

Mike DeWine said Wednesday evening a resident told the Pike County Sheriff’s Office that he received a call from a man indicating that he was with the sheriff’s office and was soliciting donations to benefit the victims.

DeWine says it’s a scam, and people should not give money.

Eight family members were found shot to death in their homes Friday near Piketon, about 80 miles east of Cincinnati.

Earlier Wednesday, DeWine and other officials visited the four crime scenes.

Investigators have interviewed more than 50 people, but no arrests have been made.


5:00 p.m.

Ohio’s attorney general is calling the slayings of eight people from one family in a rural part of the state a “cold-blooded, calculated massacre.”

Mike DeWine and other officials visited the four crime scenes again Wednesday. Seven adults and a 16-year-old boy were found dead Friday at four properties in the hills near Piketon. Investigators have interviewed more than 50 people but haven’t made arrests or confirmed a motive for the slayings.

DeWine says authorities don’t want to reveal information or theories that could inform the killer or killers.

A coroner says seven victims were shot multiple times, and one had nine gunshot wounds. Some victims also had bruising.

DeWine calls the multiple shootings another indication they were the work of a “ruthless” individual or group who planned them.

comments powered by Disqus