Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. BRITISH POLITICIANS MAKE FRENZIED FINAL APPEALS BEFORE HIGH-STAKES REFERENDUM ON EU MEMBERSHIP
A vote to leave would trigger a period of uncertainty during years of negotiations on the relationship between the EU and the U.K.
2. REBELLIOUS DEMOCRATS DISRUPT HOUSE, STAGE SIT-IN TO DEMAND VOTE ON GUN CONTROL MEASURES
House Speaker Paul Ryan dismissed the protest as a “publicity stunt” and said there would be no vote on the gun bills.
3. TRUMP ATTACKS CLINTON WITH GRAB BAG OF FAVORITE REPUBLICAN CRITICISMS – AND INNACURACIES
The presumptive Republican nominee slammed his rival as a “world class liar,” while Clinton called his charges “outlandish lies.”
4. NORTH KOREA TRUMPETS SUCCESS OF POWERFUL MIDRANGE BALLISTIC MISSILE TEST
The North says the launch demonstrated an ability to strike U.S. forces throughout the region.
5. ISLAMIC STATE DEMONSTRATES STUBBORN RESILIENCE IN FACE OF RECENT LOSSES
The militants dealt an embarrassing setback to the Syrian army near Raqqa with a swift counteroffensive.
6. UBER, LYFT BATTLE PROPOSALS FOR FINGERPRINT CHECKS ON DRIVERS
A number of state and local officials have proposed the checks following incidents where Uber drivers were found to have criminal records.
7. FORMER UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY CHIEF JOHN ASHE DIES AT 61 AMID BRIBERY CASE
The Antiguan diplomat, who died at his home in New York State, had been accused by U.S. federal authorities of accepting more than $1 million in bribes.
8. WHERE A PLANE IS HEADING AFTER RESCUING TWO SICK WORKERS FROM ANTARCTICA
The small plane is flying to Chile, where the two U.S. workers are expected to receive medical care.
9. HOW DENNIS HASTERT BEGAN HIS 15-MONTH PRISON TERM IN HUSH-MONEY CASE RELATED TO SEX ABUSE
The former U.S. House Speaker wheeled himself into a federal prison in Minnesota, followed by a woman carrying crutches, a plastic bag and a small brown box.
10. WHAT BEN SIMMONS SAID ON THE EVE OF THE NBA DRAFT
Arriving in New York hoping to be the No. 1 pick, Simmons said “I think I’m ready.”