Trump: We don’t know ‘about Hillary in terms of religion’
NEW YORK (AP) — Republican Donald Trump appeared to raise questions about likely rival Hillary Clinton’s religious faith at a closed-door meeting with evangelical leaders on Tuesday.
The presumptive GOP nominee, in a video clip of his remarks, appeared to suggest the public doesn’t know “anything about Hillary in terms of religion.”
“You know, she’s been in public eye for years and years, and yet there’s no, there’s nothing out there. There’s like nothing out there,” he told the group.
“It’s going to be an extension of Obama, but it’s going to be worse because with Obama you had your guard up, with Hillary you don’t. And it’s going to be worse,” he warned.
A spokeswoman for Trump’s campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment on exactly what Trump meant.
Trump’s changes coming too late? Republicans worrying
WASHINGTON (AP) — Republicans increasingly fear Donald Trump is missing valuable opportunities to build a winning case against Hillary Clinton, compounding their concerns about his campaign’s day-to-day decision making and seeming lack of preparedness for the general election.
While Clinton presses a highly coordinated effort to cast Trump as a reckless, self-serving businessman, he has spent the past few weeks mired in controversies of his own making. Among them: assailing a judge’s Mexican heritage, asserting that President Barack Obama sympathized with terrorists after the Orlando nightclub attacks, and trying to explain away his campaign’s dismal fundraising.
He’s also facing backlash for heading to Scotland to promote a golf resort later in this week in the midst of one of the most tumultuous stretches of his White House bid.
“People who are serious about running for president, don’t run off to Scotland where there are no votes,” said Rick Tyler, who previously advised Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’s presidential campaign. Tyler said Trump’s Scotland trip was one more example of the businessman failing to “understand the political beat” and the need to drive a consistent message against his Democratic rival.
Trump is making some moves this week aimed at steadying his campaign.
Hundreds of new evacuations across West as wildfires surge
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Surging wildfires on Tuesday forced new evacuations of hundreds of homes across the West, while firefighters worked to beat back a pair of huge adjacent blazes looming over suburban Los Angeles.
Near the U.S.-Mexico border southeast of San Diego a two-day-old, 12-square-mile wildfire took a large leap and forced the evacuation of about 600 homes and more than 1,500 people in the community of Lake Morena Village. Previously only about 75 people had evacuated from that fire.
In Utah, officials have evacuated about 100 homes from a mountain town in the southwest of the state as a wildfire less than a mile away is moving down a rocky slope toward the community of Pine Valley. The blaze is less than a square mile but moving dangerously close to homes in difficult terrain, officials said.
In Southern California, two adjacent fires in the San Gabriel Mountains 20 miles northeast of Los Angeles burned out of control but had not destroyed any homes while their combined size grew to more than 8 square miles.
About 770 homes in the foothill city of Duarte were under evacuation orders and residents of Bradbury and Monrovia just to the west were urged to be ready to leave immediately if given the word.
Clinton warns that Trump would plunge economy into recession
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Hillary Clinton said Tuesday that Donald Trump would send the U.S. economy back into recession, warning his “reckless” approach would hurt workers still trying to recover from the 2008 economic turbulence.
Clinton’s address in Ohio, one of the most important battleground states, sought to define Trump as little more than a con man, whose ignorance and ego would tank the global economy, bankrupt Americans and risk the country’s future.
“Every day we see how reckless and careless Trump is. He’s proud of it,” the Democratic presidential candidate said. “Well, that’s his choice. Except when he’s asking to be our president. Then it’s our choice.”
The speech was similar to one earlier this month in San Diego in which Clinton tried to undercut the Republican candidate’s foreign policy credentials. This time, at an alternative high school in Columbus, she questioned whether Trump has the temperament to guide the economy and repeatedly pointed to his business record as evidence of how he would treat small businesses and working families.
“Just like he shouldn’t have his finger on the button, he shouldn’t have his hands on our economy,” Clinton said. Her speech included stinging one-liners, including a takedown of Trump’s best-selling books.
AP FACT CHECK: Clinton takes liberties in Trump takedown
WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Clinton rattled off a series of claims about Donald Trump on Tuesday that seemed too strange to be true. Some were. Some weren’t.
Yes, he once described climate change as a hoax invented by China. But her suggestion that he might sell the Statue of Liberty or Yosemite National Park veered toward the fantastical.
Clinton took liberties with her own record as well as Trump’s when she delivered a broadside against her Republican presidential opponent in an Ohio speech.
A look at some of her claims and how they compare with the facts:
CLINTON: “Donald Trump … has no serious plan to encourage manufacturing, innovation or job creation in America.”
Trump’s campaign spends $6 million with Trump companies
WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump is one of the wealthiest people to ever run for president, but his campaign appears to be flat broke. What’s more, fundraising reports show he’s used about $6 million in campaign money to pay his own companies and family members.
The billionaire businessman’s financial woes were enough to inspire the mocking Twitter hashtag “TrumpSoPoor” on Tuesday and, far more seriously, give already reluctant donors a fresh batch of reasons to withhold their money.
Trump’s campaign expenses are hardly inspiring confidence among people whose money he’s pursuing. The spending includes a $423,000 May payment to Mar-a-Lago, the private club in Florida that serves as his vacation home, and enough Trump-branded bottled water to fill a bathtub.
Democratic rival Hillary Clinton ribbed Trump on Tuesday, tweeting to followers: “What is Trump spending his meager campaign resources on? Why, himself, of course.”
A presidential campaign is expensive — about $1 billion in recent years. That money pays for crucial candidate outreach, including costly television advertising and identifying, persuading and getting voters to the polls in November.
Boeing says it signs historic sales agreement with Iran Air
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Boeing Co. said Tuesday it signed an agreement with Iran Air “expressing the airline’s intent” to buy its aircraft, setting up the biggest business deal between the Islamic Republic and America since the 1979 U.S. Embassy takeover in Tehran — if it goes through.
Already, one Iranian official has said the deal could involve 100 aircraft while another has suggested Iranian airlines may purchase airplanes worth $25 billion from Chicago-based Boeing, welcome news to workers on its massive assembly plants around Seattle.
However, the long-standing enmity between the U.S. and Iran, as well as other sanctions and even presidential politics still could complicate any agreement — even after last year’s nuclear deal. And even if the agreement is finalized, aircraft orders are often announced at list prices, meaning the actual price tag would likely be lower as airlines typically get steep discounts.
Boeing issued a statement to The Associated Press saying that it signed the Iran Air agreement “under authorizations from the U.S. government following a determination that Iran had met its obligations under the nuclear accord reached last summer.”
“Boeing will continue to follow the lead of the U.S. government with regards to working with Iran’s airlines, and any and all contracts with Iran’s airlines will be contingent upon U.S. government approval,” it said.
SKorea military: NKorea fires 2 suspected midrange missiles
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — In a remarkable show of persistence, North Korea on Wednesday fired two suspected powerful new Musudan mid-range missiles, U.S. and South Korean military officials said, but at least one of the launches apparently failed, Pyongyang’s fifth such reported flop since April.
Despite the repeated failures, the North’s determination in testing the Musudan worries Washington and its allies, Tokyo and Seoul, because the missile’s potential 3,500-kilometer (2,180-mile) range could target much of Asia and the Pacific, including U.S. military bases there.
Each new test — apparently linked to a command from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un — also likely provides valuable insights to the North’s scientists and military officials as they push toward their goal of a nuclear and missile program that can threaten the U.S. mainland. Pyongyang earlier this year conducted a nuclear test and launched a long-range rocket that outsiders say was a cover for a test of banned missile technology.
A statement from South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said a suspected first Musudan launch from the east coast city of Wonsan failed early Wednesday morning but gave few other details. Later Wednesday, the JCS said the North fired another suspected Musudan, but it wasn’t immediately clear if it succeeded.
A U.S. official also said the first launch appeared to be another failure, adding that the U.S. was assessing exactly what had happened. The official wasn’t authorized to comment publicly and requested anonymity. Another American official said the first launch was a suspected Musudan but initial indications were that it failed in flight over the Sea of Japan, which the Koreas call the East Sea.
Republican senator seeks bipartisan support for gun deal
WASHINGTON (AP) — A moderate Republican senator sought broad bipartisan support Tuesday for a compromise to block gun purchases by some suspected terrorists, a day after the chamber split along party lines to derail far more sweeping proposals.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said he would allow a vote on the proposal by Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, but stopped short of endorsing the measure itself. The package seemed to face an uphill climb for the 60 votes it would need, thanks to the hurdles of election-year politics and opposition from the National Rifle Association and Gun Owners of America.
Flanked by eight senators — three Republicans, four Democrats and a Democratic-leaning independent — Collins told reporters that mass shootings in Orlando, Florida, and San Bernardino, California, were “a call for compromise, a plea for bipartisan action.”
“If we can’t pass this, it truly is a broken system up here,” said Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C.
On Monday, the Senate rejected rival Democratic and Republican proposals for keeping guns from known and suspected terrorists. President Barack Obama criticized the stalemate Tuesday, tweeting: “Gun violence requires more than moments of silence. It requires action. In failing that test, the Senate failed the American people.”
2 months on, investigators plug away on Ohio family deaths
LONDON, Ohio (AP) — More than two dozen investigators are focused on solving the slayings of eight relatives who were found shot in southern Ohio two months ago, officials overseeing the top-priority investigation said Tuesday.
In terms of the manpower and resources devoted to the case, it’s shaping up to be the biggest in the history of the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, Attorney General Mike DeWine told The Associated Press.
“We’re here for the duration, whatever that is,” DeWine said.
Authorities have reviewed about 700 tips and 100 pieces of evidence and relocated the four mobile homes where the bodies were found to preserve the crime scenes, but they refuse to reveal how much closer they might be to identifying any suspects or a motive, saying they don’t want to jeopardize the chance to catch and convict whoever’s responsible.
Seven adults and a 16-year-old boy from the Rhoden family were found dead April 22 at four properties near Piketon. A newborn, another baby and a young child weren’t harmed. A coroner determined all but one of the victims had been shot repeatedly, and some had bruising.