Official: Electrical glitch ignited fire at California pier

SEAL BEACH, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a fire that gutted a vacant restaurant on Southern California’s Seal Beach Pier was sparked by an electrical problem.

City fire officials said Tuesday that the May 20 blaze was caused by some kind of problem in a nearby bait shack that had been closed for a decade but still had electricity.

Details will be released in a later report.

Dozens of firefighters in boats and atop the pier fought the blaze, which left a former Ruby’s Diner at the end of the pier in ruins.

The pier dates to the early 1900s and was rebuilt in the 1980s.

comments powered by Disqus