Archaeological dig set to resume at Malcolm X home in Boston

BOSTON (AP) — Researchers are returning to the boyhood home of slain civil rights leader Malcolm X to resume an archaeological dig.

Archaeologist Joseph Bagley said researchers will return Monday to the home in Boston’s historically black Roxbury neighborhood.

The dig began in March but was halted after a week due to bad weather. Bagley says the team is expected to spend another week on the property.

Their efforts so far have turned up evidence of an unexpected colonial-era settlement. It also produced a stone piece possibly dating to the Native American tribes that once inhabited Boston.

The existing house was originally built in 1874 and is the last surviving residence from Malcolm X’s time as a teenager and young adult in Boston. It’s still owned by his family.

comments powered by Disqus