Trevon Saunders tied a school record with four receiving touchdowns and set the new standard with 232 receiving yards in Urbana University’s 54-7 rout of NAIA Cincinnati Christian in front of 1,068 fans at UU Stadium on Saturday.
The Blue Knights improved to 2-4 overall and picked up their first home win under second-year head coach Tyler Haines, snapping a seven-game slide.
UU scored three times in the opening quarter and out-matched Cincinnati Christian (0-7), a program in just its first year of existence, the entire game.
Cale Burdyshaw started the game behind center and tossed a pair of touchdowns in the first quarter. Then, Tajuan Green entered in the second quarter and on his first two passing attempts he found Saunders for an 80-yard strike on back-to-back possessions, as the Blue Knights cruised to a 34-7 halftime advantage.
* Saunders tied former Blue Knight star wide-out Marc Burr with four receiving touchdowns in a game. He had two 80-yard TD catches, a 20-yard TD catch and a six-yard TD grab. The junior finished with a school-record 232 receiving yards on a career-best eight receptions.
* Saunders has already set a career-high mark for receiving TDs in a season with nine, and moved into sole possession of third place on UU’s career TD receptions list with 18.
* QB Green threw for a team-high 234 yards and tied his career-high with three touchdown passes and rushed for another score. He broke free for a career-long 77-yard touchdown run down the left sideline in the fourth quarter. It was the first UU TD run of 70-plus yards since 2011.
* QB Burdyshaw threw for two touchdowns and has now tied his single-season best with seven passing TDs this year.
* Burdyshaw and Green combined to complete 14 of 22 pass attempts for 322 yards and one interception. Green was picked off on a Hail Mary attempt before halftime.
* RB Trey McFadden (10 carries, 50 yards) and WR Cam Snow (2 receptions, 35 yards) each scored for the first time in their Blue Knight careers, both coming in the first quarter. McFadden plunged for three yards and Snow hauled in a 27-yard catch from Burdyshaw on fourth down.
* The Blue Knight defense totaled 11 tackles-for-loss, led by Josh Dillard (11 tackles) and Clayton Bullard (nine tackles) each with 2.5 TFLs.
* RS freshman Onajai Davenport and freshman Jamari Collins each recorded a sack.
* Freshman Rodell Raahman had a fumble recovery.
* Senior Carlton Rematt posted 10 total tackles for the third time this season.
* QB Marcus Graham registered his first touchdown on a four-yard run in the fourth quarter.
The Blue Knights jump back into MEC play this week against West Virginia Wesleyan (1-5) on Homecoming Saturday. Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. at UU Stadium.