Village of Woodstock to seek funding for culvert project


By Joshua Keeran - [email protected]



WOODSTOCK – Village Council learned Monday that administration has decided to pursue funding options for a proposed culvert project on Flynn Street.

Village Administrator Bradley Herron informed council that he reached out to Pete Hodapp, an engineer with Kramer & Associates, to discuss installing a culvert under Flynn Street to help prevent properties in the area from puddling after heavy rains.

During last month’s council meeting, village resident John Caudill spoke in regard to his concerns over his property at 227 Flynn St. filling up with standing water following a heavy rain event that took place in mid-January.

Herron informed Caudill that the flooding issue stems from the old tile drainage system being at capacity, despite repairs that have taken place to the system over the past decade. While the repairs have limited the standing water, it hasn’t eliminated the issue.

The solution, Herron added, would be to install a storm overflow culvert under Flynn Street to allow rain water to flow toward lower ground. While the engineering work for such a project has already been completed, it was never bid out due to funding concerns.

On Monday, Herron said he has asked Hodapp to begin the application process to see if the village can acquire enough funding to make the project a reality. Potential funding options tossed around include a Community Development Block Grant from the county, an Ohio Public Works Commission grant, or a grant through the Ohio Small Government Capital Improvements Commission, which was acquired in 2014 to fund a project on state Route 559.

Council was informed since the engineering work for the Flynn Street culvert project has already been completed, there would be no design-related costs associated with the proposed project.

Fire-ravaged structure

Council member Beatrice Metz expressed her concern over the slow-going cleanup efforts of a burned out mobile home at 122 S. Main St.

Owned by fellow council member Melinda Current, who was absent from the meeting, the structure was destroyed by fire in December 2015. The fire claimed the life of a 16-year-old boy.

Metz said her concerns involve the trailer not only being unsightly, but also being a hazard, especially to children.

Herron stated that per the existing laws in place, the village can recover any costs associated with abating the nuisance if it elects to go that route.

Rather than going the legal route at the present moment, Herron said he will reach out to Current to see where the cleanup process stands.

By Joshua Keeran

[email protected]

Joshua Keeran may be reached at 937-508-2304 or on Twitter @UDCKeeran.

Joshua Keeran may be reached at 937-508-2304 or on Twitter @UDCKeeran.

comments powered by Disqus