On Sunday, July 17, plan to attend the 2 p.m. meeting of the Champaign County Historical Society at its museum at 809 East Lawn Ave. and find out what Russell Bundy created in forming Russell T. Bundy Associates Inc. in 1964, engaging in the purchase and resale of pre-owned bakery equipment and pans. In 1972, operations were moved to the current corporate headquarters location in the old Urbana Tool and Die Company building complex on East Water Street. Soon after, the family that owned and operated the company began expanding its product lines and services dedicated to the baking industry. The company opened its first division, Pan Glo ®, in 1975, providing pan-coating services. In 1985, the American Pan® division was formed to manufacture high-quality custom baking pans. Bundy Baking Solutions added Dura Shield® non-stick coatings to its family of brands in 1992, Chicago Metallic Bakeware in 2005, and Shaffer™, supplier of industrial mixers and processing equipment, in 2007.
The Bundy Baking Solutions family of brands currently operates 26 facilities in seven countries and employs over 1,000 people worldwide. Urbana based Bundy Baking Solutions, one of the most recognized names in the global baking industry, is proudly committed to its employees, customers, community and the environment. What a fascinating story will be revealed by company representatives about what goes on inside the walls of the well built complex of buildings guarded by two very large, well secured, ferocious looking lions.
As early as 1814, John Reynolds bought this land from brothers John and William Ward Jr. (sons of Urbana founder Col. William Ward) and together with Elisha C. Berry built a grist mill for making flour. Next the wooden framed building was enlarged and changed into a carding and woolen factory. As the property of Messers. Henry Fox and Co, the company turned out textiles which competed with the finest mills of the country. The wood framed building was replaced by a brick structure in 1881, while the stone addition was added in 1883.
You will enjoy yourself in our comfortable air-conditioned meeting room and get to spend time looking around the museum when you come to hear about the Bundy story. The public is welcome to the program.
Submitted by the Champaign County Historical Society.