‘Riding’ the historic caboose


Sherri Blackwell of rural Urbana tours the NX23 caboose adjacent to the Simon Kenton Trail and the Depot Coffee House at 644 Miami St. on Saturday. The caboose (also known as the Marion W. Parks Railroad Educational Center) was open for touring. The Pennsylvania Railroad built these railroad cars in 1913 and used them as box cars for hauling freight. During WWII, there was a shortage of cabooses, and the war Production Board would not approve the construction of all steel cabooses. The Pennsylvania Railroad converted 75 wooden X23 boxcars into cabooses in 1943 and added windows and doors, one bunk, a booth, a cooking/heating stove, a coal bin and a set of three lockers. The car was reclassified to class NX23.


Steve Stout|Urbana Daily Citizen

Sherri Blackwell of rural Urbana tours the NX23 caboose adjacent to the Simon Kenton Trail and the Depot Coffee House at 644 Miami St. on Saturday. The caboose (also known as the Marion W. Parks Railroad Educational Center) was open for touring. The Pennsylvania Railroad built these railroad cars in 1913 and used them as box cars for hauling freight. During WWII, there was a shortage of cabooses, and the war Production Board would not approve the construction of all steel cabooses. The Pennsylvania Railroad converted 75 wooden X23 boxcars into cabooses in 1943 and added windows and doors, one bunk, a booth, a cooking/heating stove, a coal bin and a set of three lockers. The car was reclassified to class NX23.

Sherri Blackwell of rural Urbana tours the NX23 caboose adjacent to the Simon Kenton Trail and the Depot Coffee House at 644 Miami St. on Saturday. The caboose (also known as the Marion W. Parks Railroad Educational Center) was open for touring. The Pennsylvania Railroad built these railroad cars in 1913 and used them as box cars for hauling freight. During WWII, there was a shortage of cabooses, and the war Production Board would not approve the construction of all steel cabooses. The Pennsylvania Railroad converted 75 wooden X23 boxcars into cabooses in 1943 and added windows and doors, one bunk, a booth, a cooking/heating stove, a coal bin and a set of three lockers. The car was reclassified to class NX23.
http://urbanacitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/web1_caboose.jpgSherri Blackwell of rural Urbana tours the NX23 caboose adjacent to the Simon Kenton Trail and the Depot Coffee House at 644 Miami St. on Saturday. The caboose (also known as the Marion W. Parks Railroad Educational Center) was open for touring. The Pennsylvania Railroad built these railroad cars in 1913 and used them as box cars for hauling freight. During WWII, there was a shortage of cabooses, and the war Production Board would not approve the construction of all steel cabooses. The Pennsylvania Railroad converted 75 wooden X23 boxcars into cabooses in 1943 and added windows and doors, one bunk, a booth, a cooking/heating stove, a coal bin and a set of three lockers. The car was reclassified to class NX23. Steve Stout|Urbana Daily Citizen
comments powered by Disqus